Infrastructure Planning and Charges
The Planning Scheme Amendment to include the Local Government Infrastructure Plan (Part 4 and Schedule 3) commenced on 29 June 2018. To view the Local Government Infrastructure Plan (LGIP), click on the Whitsunday Regional Council Planning Scheme (left). To view supporting information to the LGIP, click on Studies and Superseded Planning Schemes (left).
The Infrastructure Charges Resolution (No. 1) 2020 (ICR) commenced on the 26 November 2020 and the Infrastructure Charges Administration Policy (ICAP) commenced on 29 June 2018, both act as supporting documents to the LGIP. The ICR superseded the Infrastructure Charges Resolution (No. 1) 2019, which remained in effect until 25 November 2020.
The ICR identifies the applicable infrastructure charges, in accordance with the Planning Act 2016 and the Planning Regulation 2017, which identifies the maximum infrastructure charges. The ICAP identifies the Council’s process for administering the provision of trunk infrastructure identified in the LGIP and related to a Development Approval.
Infrastructure charges are payable where an applicant is issued a Development Approval accompanied by an Infrastructure Charges Notice (ICN). Infrastructure charges are charges for the construction or upgrade of trunk infrastructure associated with development but on a scale that serves the larger community, such as treatment plants, major pipes or roads.
Generally, charges will not be for the construction or upgrade of minor roads or pipes solely required to service the development site. These will usually be attributed to the developer and be a condition of approval for the development.
The amount payable will be calculated by our Officers in accordance with the ICR and identified on the ICN accompanying a Development Approval. While charges are calculated on the day of approval, infrastructure charges are recalculated at the time of payment and use the charges applicable at that time. To accurately calculate infrastructure charges prior to approval, it is necessary to have regard to:
- Infrastructure Charges Resolution (No.1) 2020;
- Local Government Infrastructure Plan
- Schedule of Works Model 2020
- Infrastructure Charges Administration Policy;
- Planning Act 2016;
- Planning Regulation 2017;
- any applicable Infrastructure Charge Notice;
- any credit for existing lawful development on the site;
- any outstanding infrastructure charges;
- any applicable infrastructure agreement; and
- any increase in maximum charges applicable at the time of payment.
To view the superseded Infrastructure Charges Resolution (No.1) 2019, Adopted Infrastructure Charges Resolution (No. 2) 2015 and associated superseded infrastructure maps, please click on the links below:
- Infrastructure Charge Resolution (No.1) 2019;
- Adopted Infrastructure Charge Resolution;
- Schedule of Works Model (Version 1.6) 2018 (SOW)
- Priority Infrastructure Area Whitsunday RICS 2008 - Town of Proserpine;
- Map 1: Bowen Priority Infrastructure Area;
- Map 2: Whitsunday Shores Priority Infrastructure Area;
- Map 3: Merinda Priority Infrastructure Area;
- Map 4: Collinsville/Scottville Priority Infrastructure Area; and
- Priority Infrastructure Area Whitsunday 2011 - Town of Whitsunday.
We maintain a Register of Infrastructure Charges, the Register includes information about the relevant development, how the charge has been calculated and payments received. To view the Register please click on the links below. To search the Register, download the spreadsheet, press CTRL + F and enter relevant search information
The Historical Register includes development permits from 1 January 2017 to 31 December 2019, for information regarding development permits prior to this date please contact us.
The 2020+ Register includes development permits from 1 January 2020 onward and will be updated every three months.
We report annually on infrastructure charges revenue and expenditure for the previous financial year and forecasts infrastructure charges revenue and expenditure four years ahead.
Additional supporting information to the LGIP, including the Schedule of works model, LGIP review checklist, Appointed reviewer statement and Extrinsic material may be viewed here.