Working at Council
We utilise an online platform which allows people to apply for vacancies online, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, from anywhere using a range of electronic devices, including mobiles.
The platform will step you through a number of activities including providing your personal details, uploading a resume and responding to some simple screening and selection criteria responses.
Please note that we do not accept applications or resumes via email, over the counter or by mail.
Flexible Working Arrangements
Whitsunday Regional Council is committed to providing employees with access to flexible work options that enhance their work/life balance (where operational requirements permit). These arrangements include:
- 9 day working fortnight arrangements based on 72.5 (Indoor) and 76 (outdoor) hours per fortnight
- Part time working arrangements
Whitsunday Regional Council employees are entitled to generous superannuation benefits – 9.5% employer contribution in the first year and 12% thereafter when an employee contributes 6% (including salary sacrifice).
Council offers above award wages and allowances due to a very comprehensive Certified Agreement.
Wages are paid fortnightly into a nominated bank account.
Other employee benefits
- Council employees have access to salary sacrifice arrangements via third party providers.
- Generous Study Assistance Program with a strong emphasis on developing our people.
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) – the employee assistance program provides 24 hour nationwide confidential counselling services for employees and their families going through personal or work-related issues.
- Active Social Club
- Relocation expenses by negotiation for senior roles (prior to commencing employment)
- Microsoft Office Home User Program
- Standard 5 weeks annual leave each year (with 17.5% loading)
- 15 days of personal leave per annum (including leave to care for family)
- A range of other generous leave entitlements
- Paid maternity leave - 6 weeks with option of 12 weeks at half pay
- Paid paternity leave – 1 week
- Ability to take long service leave pro-rata after 7 years’ service
Whitsunday Regional Council is committed to providing training and development opportunities within the region through a range of programs which focus on providing participants with real skills and experience. These programs set participants up with success within their chosen careers and build the capabilities within our community.
For further information and opportunities within Council please contact the Human Resources Team on 1300 WRC QLD (1300 972 753).
Apprenticeships & Traineeships
Council offers a variety of apprenticeships and traineeship opportunities across the whole organisation. See what some of our recent trainees have to say about their experiences within Council by viewing the video below:
View Council’s Current Employment Opportunities for apprenticeship and traineeship vacancies.
For further information and opportunities within Council please contact the Human Resources Team on 1300 WRC QLD (1300972 753).
Whitsunday Regional Council offers work experience placements for students in a dynamic and varied work environment across a wide range of disciplines.
Participants are placed with Council to primarily observe and learn – not to undertake activities which require extensive training or experience. All work experience placements are unpaid.
To be eligible for placement you must either:
- a secondary student Year 10 or higher
- a student undertaking a Certificate III or above with a registered training organisation
- a university student (if work experience is a requirement to complete of relevant study)
- registered through a Job Find Agency
Students must be registered with a recognised school, tertiary institution or referral agency that covers them for personal insurance and public liability.
How to apply
You will need to apply at least 4 weeks prior to your requested start date and complete the Work Experience Application form.
Application must be submitted via email to email@example.com
Please ensure all sections of the application form are completed and requested documents attached.
Council will endeavour to provide work experience opportunities whenever possible however this is not always possible due to adequate supervision and workplace health and safety requirements.
For further information, please contact a member of the Human Resources team by calling 1300 WRC QLD (1300 972 753).