Whitsunday Planning Scheme 2017
The Whitsunday Regional Council Planning Scheme commenced on 30 June 2017 and was updated on 20 January 2023 to Version 3.9. The Planning Scheme will facilitate development to accommodate future growth of up to 20,000 people and over 9,000 more jobs region wide by 2036 in a manner that is environmentally sustainable, boosts industry development and supports the rich lifestyle enjoyed by the Whitsunday community. It is the first Planning Scheme for the Whitsunday Region since amalgamation between Bowen and Whitsunday Shires in 2009 and is a key step for delivering a successful, stronger and more resilient Region into the future.
The Planning Scheme Amendment to update the Development Manual commenced 20 January 2023. The amendment included:
- Updates to align with Australian standards
- Amendments to parks and roads network desired standards of service
- Rectifying historical issues and design improvement within the following themes:
- Erosion and sediment control
- Parks and open space design
- Stormwater management Roads hierarchy and design standards
- Water and sewer design standards
To review all amendments to the Whitsunday Planning Scheme 2017 and commencement dates, please view Appendix 2 – Table of Amendments below, or review in more detail on our amendments page.
If you are a developer or owner-builder, there are important Commonwealth telecommunications rules you need to comply with. For more information visit www.infrastructure.gov.au/tind
To view the Planning Scheme and the associated maps, please click on the links below:
The maps associated with the Planning Scheme are available through our Online Planning Services or can be downloaded in pdf version below: